NOE is an app that seeks to act as a second brain to store all your movies, TV shows, books and podcast that you watch, read or listen. Beyond that, NOE wants to connect you with your friends so you can share your recommendations.
How might we create an input process easy and engaging to the user?
According to Jared Horvath theory, it is common that we almost immediately forgot what we watched, read or listen to, even if we think that we are retaining all of the information. That’s the reason why NOE is created, to help people to have all of that information stored. However, having to input all the content that you watch, read or listen one-by-one could generate frustration to the user.
First step was to emphasize with the user and trying to reflect and write down on post-its all the problems the user could face. This exercise was very useful to just focus on understanding the users and define their problems.
Being established that the objective is to focus on creating the best possible experience for the user when adding their content, it is time to think about the possible ways that the user could have to complete this task. That is why, by doing this exercise, we were able to think of two different alternatives for the user, also seeing what the pain-points could be during this process.
1. Manually add the content but limiting the metadata that the user has to complete to make it a quick process.
2. Give the user the chance to import their content from their streaming platforms like Netflix, HBO, Amazon Primer or other platforms like Kindle, Spotify or Apple Podcasts.
To help the ideas flow, nothing better than sketching to explore different concepts. To that end, I did the following exercises. First, some note taking to remember again the problems that the user faced and the different alternatives that we came out. Second, starting to sketch rough ideas on limited time. Third, I did some crazy 8’s to start exploring some transitions between screens. And, finally, taking some screens from the crazy 8’s I came with the final solution.
After going through the whole process, getting to design the prototype in Figma was the easiest part and one of the most fun of the whole process. Of course, making the prototype in one day was a challenge that allowed me to test my skills to work under pressure.
For this first test, I had the possibility of conducting 4 user tests which allowed me to obtain good qualitative data even if the statistic sample isn’t a lot.
Key insights from user testing:
- 4 out of 4 users affirmed that the two ways of adding content to the platform were “simple” and “intuitive”.
- However, observing the user behavior, I could see that 3 out of 4 users were confused and didn’t know where to click on the “Add content” screen.
In conclusion, although the users seem to find easy and intuitive this process. I observe some doubts on them when going through the prototype. Therefore, I think there is room for improvement. Starting by adding some CTA buttons on the “Add content” screen to help the user to have a clear indication where they have to tap.
Being my first design sprint, I found quite challenging being able to complete on my own all the different exercises. But thanks to them, I was able to go from a rough idea to the final design. Not just only thinking on the aesthetics and on the look & feel. But rather, thinking about the better way for the user to enjoy or, at least, not hate the repetitive task of adding content on this app.
On the business side of things, the challenge is being able to maintain the costs as little as possible. That's why even if importing content seems like a very good way to engage the users. It could have a big cost to the company have to connect with a lot of different APIs to make that possible. So, we will see on the future if the company is able to invest in this element to improve the user experience.